What is Control4?
Control4 is a home automation system that connects different systems (i.e. heating, security, audio,etc) in your house or business allowing them to work together, and be easily controlled, from inside or outside of the building. Control4 makes your house or business “smart”, so it can be programmed to react in a certain way to any given stimulus. The level of automation is limited only to your imagination. Basic functions may include having the lights turn off automatically when nobody is in the room, or turning off all the lights and TV’s and locking the doors with the single click of a button.
Control4 is an industry leader in home-automation that provides a vast array of products. Simply, Control4 offers people the best value by providing customizable and robust home-automation solutions at a reasonable price. Control4 is always innovating and improving its products, while ensuring seamless integration between new and legacy products; so, you can start small and increase the level of automation in house over time, hassle free. And, because it is an industry leader, a wide array of 3rd party brands create products that integrate specifically with Control4.
Why SA Electric?
SA Electric is a certified ‘Gold Dealer’, which means that we are specifically trained to sell, install and program Control4 systems. We are Kamloops’ most trusted Control4 home-automation experts with 5 years experience in home automation and 25 years in electrical. Control4 requires a proper installation built on the foundation of proper electrical and a robust network: we are uniquely qualified for this. We pride ourself on excellent customer service and support – we are never more than a phone call, email or text away. At SA Electric, we don’t just sell, install and support Control4 systems – we live them in our own houses.
What systems can be controlled?
What can’t be controlled? Most commonly you can control:
- Multiple zones of audio with various sources including personalized internet radio
- Televisions, BlueRays, Media Players, etc
- Comfort and Climate (HVAC)
- Security, Door Locks and Motion Sensors
- Other: garage doors, motorized blinds, etc
How do you control your system?
Your home or business is easily controlled through a ‘navigator’ which is a user friendly interface that appears on your smart phone, wall-mounted or portable touchscreen, tablet or computer. You can also control with light switches, wall-mounted keypads and a universal remote. Outside of your home or business, you can use a computer with internet or smart phone with 3G connectivity.
What are some examples of things you can do with Control4?
- Touch a button before bed to turn lock the doors and turn off all TV’s, audio and lights in your house.
- Have your kitchen lights flash if the fridge door is not shut.
- Communicate to others in the house via video intercom.
- Have your music and TV’s turn on automatically to your preferred volume and preferred channels.
- Let your neighbour in to feed the cat by using your phone.
- Be advised via email when someone enters and leaves your house, if motion is detected, etc
- Give people codes that allow them to enter your home at specific times on specific days. E.g. housekeeper
- Enjoy customized scenes that combine music, temperature, lights and video. For example, a cooking scene might turn on your kitchen lights to 75% while playing your favourite playlist.
- Use sensors to tell your house what to do. E.g. Have your TV turn on to your favourite channel, with the lights down low, when you sit in you TV chair. Have your remote beep to tell you where it is.
- Control lamps and plug-in electronics from anywhere.
- Have motion detectors control certain lights whether or not someone is in the room.
- Set your “alarm” to slowly ramp up the lights, open your motorized blinds and turn on the music to a preset level.
- Seamlessly control your out-of-sight Cable Box, BlueRay, media player, Xbox,etc from a universal remote.
- Distribute audio from various sources to multiple areas of your house. E.g. Watch the big game and, without pausing, hear the action when you go for a snack or take a bathroom break.
- Monitor who comes and goes with custom door codes. E.g. Know exactly what time your teenager snuck in last night.
- Use your keychain to open your garage door, unlock the front door and tell your house you are home.
- See who is at the front door when the doorbell rings and choose to talk with them and unlock the door.
- Have your lights quickly flash in your basement theatre room to tell you someone is at your front door or home.
- Have your lights turn on randomly when you are not home to deter intruders.
- Allow your house to automatically set the temperature based on whether you are home or not.
Control4 is completely customizable. How you control your space is limited only by your imagination. What are the benefits of Control4?
Convenience: Spend more time enjoying your space rather than searching for a multitude of remotes and walking around your house to manually control devices. Checking on or controlling your home can be done from the convenience of your phone, no matter where you are.
Customization: Create your space exactly how you want it. Make your space more usable by creating ‘scenes’ that combine audio, video, temperature, security and lighting. It can be as simple as having your house know what temperature to automatically go to when you are home. Or, it can be as specific as having your television turn on to a certain channel, at a certain volume and your lights turning off when you sit in a specific chair.
Usability: Use each space and each system to its FULL potential. With the ability to easily control your house, you will discover how much more you actually use it. Imagine listening to music streaming from your phone in any room in the house. Imaging the fireplace turning itself on every time you are in the room when the house is cold at night. It’s about your space working for you.
Aesthetics: De-clutter your space with sleek lines and clean walls. With ceiling-mounted speakers, wall-mounted TV’s with all the gear hidden in closets, you can enjoy your entertainment system without seeing the wires or gear. With Control4 you can control 6 lighting loads from a single keypad, instead of 6; this removes wall acne and gives your space a clean, uncluttered look and feel.
Efficiently: Don’t spend money and waste energy to light, heat and cool your space when you are not in it. Control4 makes your space smart so it can turn its systems on and off automatically based on when you are home. Let your space work for you. Enjoy peace of mind with no more: “Did I turn the lights off? Did I lock the door? Is the garage door closed? Did I turn off the TV?”
Is this an affordable option?
Yes. Control4 offers the advantage of starting small and scaling up as your budget allows. Every system requires a controller which is the ‘brain’ that controls your system; once you have a controller, you can easily add individual components, like light switches, to your system, room by room.
Is Control4 difficult to learn how to use?
Control4 prides itself on being “everyday easy”. The system can be controlled through a user-friendly touchscreen interface, and using it quickly becomes second nature. Anything this powerful may involve a small learning curve, but SA Electric is there for your every step of the way. It is easier than you may think.
Can Control4 work in an older home?
Absolutely! Certain applications require more work than others, but setting up Control4 in an older home or business is a great way to modernize and bring even an antique house into the 21st century. Distributed audio sounds great in any home, no matter its age. Because many Control4 devices work within a wireless mesh network, they can be set up without wires – it isn’t necessary to demolish walls to make magic.
How can Control4 save energy?
By not heating and cooling your house or business when nobody is there – Control4 can automatically determine if your house is occupied and change the temperature accordingly. Also, by tuning your house or business into the rhythm of the sun with the automatic use of motorized blinds, you can save energy by harvesting the suns’ energy throughout the seasons.
By using less energy to power your lights. With Control4, we can program your lights to come on at levels appropriate to the light and time of day, and to max out at lower levels – a bulb dimmed to 90% provides the same amount of light to the eye as 100% while saving 10% on energy. By programming the appropriate dimming of lights, we can easily reduce your lighting energy by more than 20% and dramatically extend the life of your bulbs.
By using the lights and TV’s only when required. With the use of motion sensors, your house or business knows to only use lights when the rooms are occupied, and to turn off lights, TV’s and music when nobody is there. “All off” or “away” scenes make it as simple as pushing a button to ensure your house or business is fully powered down.